With the heat of summer comes all kinds of fresh produce. I grew up in rural Ohio on a farm with an orchard and huge vegetable garden. I remember sitting around the kitchen table for hours with my kettle and paring knife in hand. My mother, sister and grandmother were in similar positions, either peeling and slicing, prepping the jars or watching the canner. Peaches are one of my favorite fruits of the season. I can still feel the sticky juice running down my arms and feel my nose tickling from the peach fuzz. Here in the Pacific Northwest, we …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees