GREEN - World War II veteran Harley Atkinson of Green has had his share of bad luck in his 87 years. He was severely injured in a car accident in Europe the day after the Germans surrendered. The lingering effects worsened over the decades and confined him to a wheelchair 10 years ago.But he said he feels like his country has not forgotten his sacrifice. And for that, he feels lucky.A Veterans Affairs' grant recently paid to remodel the manufactured home Atkinson shares with his wife, Debra, 53, and their son, Austin, 16. The remodeling will enable Harley Atkinson to …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees