Of Roseburg, Oregon passed away Sunday, February 6, 2011 after a courageous fight against ovarian cancer. Born in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, March 29, 1939, to Cleveland and Clara (Whitworth) McJunkins. Jewel was a cherished mother and grandmother who earned a tax preparer's license and worked as a bookkeeper for many years. Jewel appreciated the arts and learned to paint and created beautiful pictures. Grandchildren, roses, crossword puzzles, mystery reading and a good political argument were her passions. Jewel is survived by her brothers, Junior and James; daughters Rhonda Turman; Pamela Hillis; Diane Beckstead; Lisa West; Sabrina Verduzco and son, Paul West; grandchildren: Sarah, Amanda, Jon Jr., Eric, Kevin, Timothy, Mari, Rodrigo, Raquel, Isabel, Sofia, Daniela, Brittney, Jessica, Annebelle and Joshua; as well as numerous cousins, nieces and nephews. The family would like to extend thanks to Dr. Edward Ottenheimer and Rose Haven Nursing Center for their wonderful help and care. Funeral services will be held at 2:00 p.m. Saturday, February 12, 2011 at Taylor's Family Chapel in Winston.
- Police log: Man burning grass with blowtorch
- With marijuana legalization, veterans still looking for clarity
- Green man taken to Mercy Medical Center after peaceful standoff with police
- Police log: Man throws hot chicken at neighbor, threatens people with big fork
- Healing Waters: Veterans learn that fly fishing may be the best therapy