An Oakland man’s plea to be released pending his trial on charges that he sexually abused a woman with Down syndrome was rejected Tuesday in Douglas County Circuit Court. Edward Henry Capella, 73, has been in custody since his arrest Oct. 21 on suspicion of 24 counts of first-degree sex abuse and 12 counts of first-degree sodomy. He was originally booked into the Douglas County Jail on $10.5 million bail. His bail was set at $500,000 during his first court appearance. His attorney, Richard Cremer, sought to have Capella released with conditions or at least have his bail further reduced …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees