The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs isn’t known for running smoothly. The Douglas County Veterans Forum was so fed up with the VA last year that it considered setting up a mock bunker on Garden Valley Boulevard to protest being “ignored and left behind.” You would think a longtime congressman could navigate the VA’s bureaucracy. But U.S. Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Springfield, reported feeling the same frustrations as anyone else communicating with the agency. Disgruntlement with the VA is not limited to Southern Oregon. The VA’s image nationally took a big hit in 2007 when The Washington Post reported about shoddy …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees