Douglas County Veterans Forum President Jim Little, above, lights a candle during an annual Four Chaplains Day memorial service at Earle B. Stewart American Legion Post 16 in Roseburg on Saturday. The service recalls the lives of World War II Army chaplains Lt. George Fox, Lt. Alexander Goode, Lt. Clark Poling and Lt. John Washington and their efforts to save soldiers aboard the U.S. transport ship USAT Dorchester after it was struck by torpedoes and sank in the Atlantic Ocean on Jan. 23, 1943. The four chaplains perished with the ship, but their efforts saved the lives of many. Left, Minister Ed Jabs, the Rev. John Stenbeck, Bill Schmidt and the Rev. Mike Gillespie, all of Roseburg, link arms at the closing of the service. Below, Gillespie lights a candle.
- Police log: Ex-girlfriend asks to borrow bike for an hour, doesn't return
- Communal effort to restore a stolen pickup makes grieving mother smile
- Update: Man confirmed drowned in Diamond Lake
- Police log: Partiers heard dangling children over balcony
- Construction on Highway 138 slated to begin Aug. 10