Douglas County Veterans Forum President Jim Little, above, lights a candle during an annual Four Chaplains Day memorial service at Earle B. Stewart American Legion Post 16 in Roseburg on Saturday. The service recalls the lives of World War II Army chaplains Lt. George Fox, Lt. Alexander Goode, Lt. Clark Poling and Lt. John Washington and their efforts to save soldiers aboard the U.S. transport ship USAT Dorchester after it was struck by torpedoes and sank in the Atlantic Ocean on Jan. 23, 1943. The four chaplains perished with the ship, but their efforts saved the lives of many. Left, Minister Ed Jabs, the Rev. John Stenbeck, Bill Schmidt and the Rev. Mike Gillespie, all of Roseburg, link arms at the closing of the service. Below, Gillespie lights a candle.
- Adult Shop robber bought stun gun day before attack
- UPDATE: Alek Skarlatos' mom reacts to son's third place finish, audience support on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Police arrest man believed to have killed girlfriend
- County opposes Crater Lake wilderness plan
- Tri City groups protest proposed dispensary, compare Myrtle Creek to mob boss