Jessica Prokop

Follow Me

Back to: News
July 31, 2014
Follow News

Reedsport man killed by police had history of violence

When Glenn Ray Glancey started shooting outside his Reedsport home on July 17, officers had no idea an eerily similar situation had unfolded 41 years ago in North Carolina.

Glancey, 71, who was killed in the exchange of fire, had a history of explosive violence that dated back to at least 1973, when he was charged with murder following a car chase and another shootout that claimed two lives, wounded an officer and left two hostages shaken up.

A Douglas County grand jury ruled Wednesday that two Reedsport police officers, Chief Duane Wisehart and Officer Trevor Gardner, and Douglas County sheriff’s Sgt. Jeff Frieze and Deputy Daniel Marchini were justified in using deadly force against Glancey.

The officers responded to a disturbance around 12:30 p.m. at a mobile home park at 1000 N. Eighth St. and were confronted by Glancey, who was armed with a .40-caliber handgun and opened fire.

No officers were injured.

Efforts to reach Glancey’s wife, Loretta, were unsuccessful today.

A neighbor who witnessed the incident declined to comment.

Douglas County District Attorney Rick Wesenberg said at a press conference Wednesday that police later learned of Glancey’s criminal history.

Wesenberg said in an interview that he did not know the specifics and was unsure if Glancey’s criminal history had been presented to the grand jury.

According to a May 6, 1973, news report in the Panama City News-Herald, Glancey was charged with murdering his brother, William Glancey, and another man who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Authorities said the incident began May 4, 1973, after the two brothers apparently had an argument at William Glancey’s home in Swansboro, North Carolina.

After the fight, Glenn Glancey went to his father’s house, grabbed a pistol and shotgun and returned to his brother’s house. Glancey shot his brother to death and took his sister-in-law, Patricia Glancey, hostage.

He drove to a grocery store, which he allegedly tried to rob, and took a 14-year-old girl hostage.

A man in the grocery store called for help and police and state troopers arrived.

A state trooper, James Taylor, said Glenn Glancey made Patricia Glancey drive while he fired at patrol cars.

Police chased Glancey’s car down a dead-end road leading to his father’s house. He left the vehicle and began shooting at officers, wounding one deputy. A neighbor was also fatally wounded.

The hostages were released unharmed.

According to records from the North Carolina Department of Public Safety, Glancey was charged with first- and second-degree murder and second-degree kidnapping.

He was convicted of murder and kidnapping on Dec. 10, 1973, and was in prison until his release on Feb. 2, 1989, records show.

• Reporter Jessica Prokop can be reached at 541-957-4209 and

Stories you may be interested in

The News-Review Updated Jul 31, 2014 12:33PM Published Aug 6, 2014 11:34AM Copyright 2014 The News-Review. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.