PORTLAND (AP) " A U.S. Forest Service economist says Alaska, Oregon, Washington and Northern California exported roughly 880 million board feet of softwood logs last year, an increase of more than 11 percent from 2006.Debra Warren of the Forest Service's Pacific Northwest Research Station says 62 percent of the West Coast softwood log exports went to Japan and another 30 percent traveled to South Korea.Oregon, Washington and Northern California all saw log exports rise in 2007 from 2006, but Alaska dropped from 254 million board feet to 206.5 million.Douglas-fir accounted for 53.7 percent of the 2007 log exports. …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees