Douglas County residents are fortunate to have a park as beautiful as Mildred Kanipe Memorial Park outside Oakland. If you haven’t yet been there, it’s worth checking out. The 1,100-acre working ranch with its roaming peacocks and historic buildings takes you back to another era. There are equestrian and hiking trails to be explored through hardwood and Douglas fir forests and lush meadows, a pond for fishing, a picnic area and more. The park’s future remains uncertain, however. The county has to determine how it will pay to maintain the park in the future. Minimum operating costs are $22,000 per …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees