Douglas County reaffirmed it has a heavily Republican electorate, breaking with the rest of the state in the presidential election and on every statewide office. Oregon gave its seven electoral votes to President Barack Obama, who claimed 53 percent of the vote statewide. In Douglas County, however, Mitt Romney collected 62 percent of the vote to Obama’s 34 percent. Secretary of State Kate Brown, a Portland Democrat, collected 51 percent of the vote to hold onto office against Roseburg native Knute Buehler, a Bend Republican. Buehler received 44 percent of the vote statewide, while winning 58 percent in Douglas County. …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees