CANYONVILLE — Cold wind and rain blew into the canyon as the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 5714 began its Veterans Day observance Sunday. Speaker and former state Rep. Bill Markham of Roseburg joked that he wished he had brought his GI-issued underwear to fend off the chill. “It’s a bit mothy 70 years later, but still good,” said Markham, who was a B-17 pilot in Europe during World War II and later served 30 years in the Oregon House of Representatives while living in Riddle. Good humor and appreciation for service members continued throughout the event in front …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees