Douglas County claims the distinction of being the only county on the West Coast to not charge people to dump household garbage in its landfill. Lacking a current list of tipping fees in every county in Oregon, Washington and California, we hesitate to report it as fact. It’s a reasonable belief, though. Why would any county repeal dumping fees? Oh, it’s a good service for residents who haul their garbage, and it holds down rates for city dwellers who have curbside pick up. It’s just that when a county can’t afford to keep the landfill open on Sundays and its …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees