Many children attending the tree-lighting ceremony in front of the Douglas County Courthouse Sunday were all about Santa’s scheduled appearance, but 2-year-old Serenity Lopez, who recently moved from Yucca Valley, Calif., was eager to see the Christmas tree. “They only really had one tree in their whole town. Now she gets to see a Christmas tree and she’s excited,” said Serenity’s great aunt, Carol Engels, 60, of Roseburg. About 1,500 people filled the front lawn of the courthouse as darkness fell Sunday. They were there to hear carols, watch the tree lighting and see Santa arrive in a horse-drawn carriage. …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees