At first glance our journey to Tanzania, Africa, would be largely the challenge of climbing Africa’s highest peak, Mount Kilimanjaro. The majestic volcanic peak is also known as the largest free-standing mountain in the world. Shortly after our arrival in Moshi, Tanzania, in mid-September it was evident that our journey would be more far-reaching than we had anticipated. Tanzania is the largest country in Eastern Africa. The city of Moshi is considered the gateway to Kilimanjaro, as it stands near the base of the towering 19,341-foot peak. Here we met our guides as our group of eight climbers prepared for …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees