One of the oldest eight-sided barns in Oregon is at 1191 Coos Bay Wagon Road, west of Lookingglass. The James Wimer Octagonal Barn was constructed in 1892 and was originally used as a cattle barn. In 1900, George Marsh, who bought the property from Wimer, converted the barn for sheep and to store prunes and hay. It was used for that purpose until the orchards were removed in the mid-1960s. The barn, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, measures 31 feet on each side. The interior structure was put together with milled, old-growth cedar and sits …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees