“The town that moved;” Oakland’s early entrepreneurs envisioned opportunities that would arrive with the coming railroad along Calapooia Creek and convinced many citizens to move shops and homes to their current location. Locust Street, once the main street of a busy and prosperous railroad town, features brick buildings that were built from 1892 through 1899. The business community in Oakland has evolved and adapted throughout its 150-plus years. Stearns Hardware, established in 1887, is still in operation today in its original location and has witnessed the coming and going of a variety of enterprises over the years. Having become the …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees