Community organizer Ashley Hicks was born and raised in Roseburg and she is passionate about improving her hometown. Hicks, 32, is perhaps best known for organizing the recent cleanup of a seven-acre stretch of riverfront property behind Micelli Park in southeast Roseburg last year. She pulled together roughly 60 volunteers, who cleared blackberry and other invasive plants. They also removed garbage ranging from abandoned homeless campsites to 30 tires to numerous hypodermic needles. Residents of the area once avoided the property, known as a hangout for drug users. Now Hicks said she routinely sees children playing and adults walking their …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees