Unemployment in Douglas County dropped slightly in December over the month before, according to statistics released Wednesday by the Oregon Employment Department. December’s unemployment rate stood at 11.4 percent, down from 11.6 percent in November. It was down a full percentage point from the 12.4 percent mark recorded in December 2011. Nonfarm employment totaled 34,600 jobs in Douglas County in December, compared to 33,990 in December 2011. The addition of 610 jobs reflected a 1.8 percent increase. The added jobs came in transportation, warehousing, utilities, financial and other professional and business services, along with education and health services. The gains …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees