INKA BAJANDAS The News-Review The Roseburg School Board agreed Wednesday to suspend a legal challenge to a state ban on Native American mascots. But the district may not have to give up the Roseburg High School Indians if the Oregon Legislature agrees to either reverse the ban or lessen its severity. The Oregon Board of Education passed the ban last May. It requires Oregon teams such as the Roseburg Indians, North Douglas Warriors and Reedsport Braves to change mascots, buy new uniforms and replace signs in gyms and on football fields by July 1, 2017, or risk losing state funding. …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees