If the conservationists trying to stop the 187-acre White Castle timber sale are right, two widely respected forestry professors, the Obama administration and Gov. John Kitzhaber are all wrong. Oregon Wild and Cascadia Wildlands have filed a legal challenge to the timber sale in the Bureau of Land Management Roseburg District. In doing so, they dismiss the expertise of Oregon State University professor Norm Johnson and University of Washington professor Jerry Franklin and the importance of the Northwest timber industry. Back in 2010, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar came to Roseburg and promised to try to break gridlock on federal timberlands. …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees