Three Oregon federal lawmakers, including Rep. Peter DeFazio, are publicly pushing Oregon Sen. Ron Wyden to hold hearings on their plan to increase timber harvests in Western Oregon. DeFazio and Reps. Greg Walden and Kurt Schrader released a letter Wednesday calling on Wyden, the new chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee, to take up a proposal to turn oversight of 1.5 million federally managed acres to a board appointed by Gov. John Kitzhaber. The lawmakers sent a similar letter to Washington Republican Doc Hastings, chairman of the House Natural Resources Committee. “A hearing is the next logical …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees