Last week, Fir Grove and Melrose elementary schools became members of a club nobody wants to join. Along with Green and Rose schools, the two now appear on the short list of candidates for closure in the 2013-14 academic year. Though Roseburg Public Schools officials have said more than once that any of the district’s nine schools was fair game for permanent recess, it’s likely that the five not on the roster can heave a collective sigh of relief. Somebody else is probably going to draw the smallest straw when board members finish deliberating and are ready to make the …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees