Wayne and Willa McManigal have hatched a plan to start raising free-range chickens on their property 10 miles east of Sutherlin. The McManigals are building a coop and will soon receive nine chickens from a friend. They are among an increasing number of Douglas County residents who believe farm fresh eggs just can’t be beat. “Farm-fresh eggs are better for you. They’re more healthy for you as far as I’m concerned,” said Wayne McManigal, 72. Representatives of the Douglas County Farmers Co-op and Coastal Farm & Ranch, both in Roseburg, say customers are flocking to their courses on chicken rearing. …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees