Free money. For most people, that is what you call an oxymoron. For graduating high school seniors, free money in the form of college scholarships represents an amazing opportunity to begin higher education. The Wixson scholarship is one of the most generous in Douglas County and is available to graduates from South County high schools. Annually, the Umpqua Youth Board, which administers the Wixson scholarship, gives away an average of $60,000, depending on market fluctuations. The amounts vary per applicant, but usually range from $500 to $3,000. To qualify for a scholarship, one has to graduate from South Umpqua, Riddle, …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees