Child killer Mark Allen Vanderhoof’s silence made the mother of his victim gasp. Convicted of abusing to death a 2-year-old boy and facing the prospect of spending the rest of his life in prison, Vanderhoof, 53, of Lookingglass declined to speak at his sentencing Monday. “I wanted him to talk,” said the victim’s mother, Brianna Snow. “It’s a slap in the face. It’s like he’s saying we don’t deserve to know what happened.” Vanderhoof didn’t testify at his four-day trial last month in Douglas County Circuit Court, after which Judge Ronald Poole found him guilty in the Jan. 26, 2011, …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees