Real estate broker Diana Woodward is challenging incumbent Sutherlin School Board member Jay Bennett for Position 1. Woodward, 60, who ran unsuccessfully for the Sutherlin School Board in 2011, said that as a school board member she would advocate for the district calling the shots instead of the federal government. “I believe I am qualified in choosing educators, curriculum and books with our local children in mind, not a one-size-fits-all coming out of Washington, D.C.,” she said. If elected, Woodward said she would evaluate and examine the Common Core Standards, federal curriculum guidelines adopted by Oregon in 2010. She said …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees