Point a smart phone at the Remembrance Wall outside the Veterans of Foreign Wars Patrick W. Kelly Post in Roseburg and you will see something amazing. Aim the QR — quick response — reader at the barcode next to any one of the nearly three dozen faces of combat veterans etched in black marble, and you will learn their story. The reader pulls up a webpage. For Army Pfc. Dean Bright, for example, viewers learn he was killed Oct. 4, 2006, in Taji, Iraq. Three months earlier, the Sutherlin man was honored with a Bronze Star Medal for helping retrieve …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees