News-Review photographer Michael Sullivan’s image of a triathlete preparing to swim took first place for sports photography in a regional journalism contest. Winners of the 2012 Society of Professional Journalists Northwest Excellence in Journalism contest were announced Saturday night. The annual contest recognizes outstanding work by print and electronic journalists in Alaska, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana. Sullivan won for his photo of Burt Tate of Roseburg stretching before the start of the Umpqua Ultimate Triathlon at Cooper Creek Reservoir in Sutherlin in September. Also, News-Review staff writer Inka Bajandas received second place in the personalities category. Her award-winning story …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees