With the Roseburg City Council in the midst of what appears from the outside to resemble a game of musical chairs, perhaps it’s time to take a closer look at how councilors are elected and appointed. Ken Averett was the second city councilor to resign this year, leaving one of two Ward I (Northeast Roseburg) seats on the eight-member council empty with three-plus years remaining on his term. Averett ran unopposed for re-election just seven months ago. Melissa Smith resigned from the council in January and moved to Texas. Four residents applied to replace her on the Ward 4 seat …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees