By coincidence, the Census Bureau reported Douglas County was losing people on the same day that the Oregon Employment Department said the county had a relatively low percentage of working adults. The two facts, however, are not coincidental. The Census Bureau estimates the county had 107,164 residents as of July 1, 2012 — 503 fewer than were counted in the 2010 census. The decline has not been steep, but it’s notable that the loss in population has occurred in two groups — children 18 and younger and adults between 35 and 54 years old. The number of young adults and …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees