GREEN — Douglas County sheriff’s deputies in combat gear stormed the halls of Sunnyslope Elementary on Monday, practicing to respond to campus emergencies. All week, deputies are going through annual training exercises, which also include testing their driving skills at the Douglas County Fairgrounds. On Monday at Sunnyslope, deputies ran through scenarios involving shooters and hostages. Deputies reviewed their actions with the instructors after each training run. For some deputies, the training served as a refresher. “Everyone takes it real seriously,” sheriff’s spokesman Dwes Hutson said. “We have to get the proper training to respond to these types of things.” …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees