WINCHESTER — Umpqua Community College hopes to open an observatory by next spring, allowing online stargazing through six telescopes. The college has raised more than $56,000, including $20,000 from the Associated Students of Umpqua Community College, toward the $127,000 project. The Umpqua Astronomers, Wolf Creek Job Corps and an anonymous donor have contributed smaller amounts. The college hopes to break ground on the observatory this fall. UCC astronomy professor Paul Morgan said he hopes community members and students of all ages will take advantage of the observatory. “We want to reach not only college students, but reach K-12 students throughout …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees