Red rockets burst in the air in sync with Mike Rondeau’s a cappella rendition of the national anthem Thursday, surprising a crowd of 10,000 gathered to watch fireworks at Stewart Park in Roseburg. “It brought tears to my eyes,” event organizer Bob Cotterell said. Large crowds turned out at events in Douglas County to celebrate the holiday, which was for the most part a safe one. The county’s emergency dispatch center reported receiving 40 complaints about fireworks Thursday evening and early today. Also, the holiday was not easy on pets. Saving Grace Pet Adoption Center in Winchester reported that seven …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees