Q: What healthful properties do the herbs and spices in my spice rack have, and in particular turmeric? A: Herbs and spices have been around for thousands of years, used for their purported medicinal properties, unique flavors and for barter and currency. Today, turmeric, a shrub similar to ginger, is causing a lot of scientific interest because of its curcumin content and its possible anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and anticancer properties. It apparently kills cancer cells in test tubes and reduces tumors in animals. Human studies of curcumin are in the early stages, but it has been shown to be very poorly …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees