An investigation that included authorities digging in north Douglas County for a body ended Tuesday with a Cottage Grove woman sentenced to 57 months in prison for financial crimes. Carel June Cody, 47, also was ordered to pay $203,528 in restitution for stealing the Social Security benefits of a man who died about 17 years ago while in her care. Cody concealed the death of John Arnold, an elderly man who had been in her care, and buried his body in 1996 outside a rural residence, according to court records. The FBI, Social Security investigators and Douglas County sheriff’s deputies …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees