Three bored boys playing with matches started a grass fire Monday afternoon that burned one-quarter of an acre near Eastwood Elementary School, officials said. The three 13-year-old Roseburg teens were taken into custody by Douglas County sheriff’s deputies. Citations are pending. Douglas County Fire District No. 2 Fire Marshal Josep Pedrola said the boys admitted to tossing lit matches in dry grass. The boys stomped out the fires, but a sudden wind gust caused one blaze to quickly grow out of control, Pedrola said. “They did try to stop it, but by the time they tried to stop it, it …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees