A retired aerospace contractor who introduced astronauts and scientists to Douglas County students and launched the Major General Marion Carl Foundation died Monday at age 82. Ernie King died in his sleep at his Roseburg home, family members said. King started the foundation in honor of his late friend and neighbor, who was killed by a home intruder in 1998. The foundation brings speakers, typically those involved in the aerospace industry, to Douglas County’s middle and high schools. It offers scholarships and once a year flies students to NASA’s Space Camp in Alabama. One key to the group’s success was …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees