The Sutherlin and Winston police departments received grants from the federal government Friday and will likely use the money to increase security at schools. Sutherlin Police Chief Kirk Sanfilippo said he was pleasantly surprised to learn that his department was awarded $125,000 to place another school resource officer in the Sutherlin School District. “I couldn’t be more pleased and more happy,” he said Friday afternoon. Winston-Dillard School District Superintendent Kevin Miller said he would welcome having more police support in the schools. “Especially with the violence in schools, we always appreciate law enforcement presence,” he said. “Any hours we can …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees