Lesser goldfinches grab a meal from a hanging feeder at a home on Woodwillow Drive in Roseburg Wednesday. Related to the American goldfinch, the state bird of Washington, lesser goldfinches can gather in groups of up to several hundred at a time. They feed on seeds and grains, in fields as well as at bird feeders. Their flocks mix with other seed-eating songbirds and are commonly seen in suburbs. They usually head for southern climates in winter.
FEATURE PHOTO: Birds enjoy a meal on the wing
Trending in: News
- 5-month-old Roseburg baby needs heart transplant
- Officers arrest Roseburg man following standoff
- Guest column: Remembering when James Garner learned a little about Douglas County
- Healthy Wednesday: Roseburg VA’s service dog policy upsets veteran
- A different perspective: I put my child up for adoption | Moms