I’ll bet you didn’t know that a factor contributing to the early economic growth of the idyllic community of Riddle was the prune. Dried prunes from many orchardists in Douglas County were processed and shipped by rail from Riddle prior to 1930. Although the town didn’t expand to founders Abner & J.B. Riddle’s full projected potential, it found a niche in the timber industry and is home to six lumber producing mills. The old Riddle Nickel Mine (Hanna Nickel) site was reinvented as a processing plant for sand products and currently has worldwide sales. And now the winemaking industry is …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees