Building permits are up in Douglas County, giving the construction industry a little encouragement. Between July and January, 491 permits were issued for residential and commercial projects. In the seven-month period the year before, 456 permits were approved, the lowest total in the past eight years, according to the Douglas County Building Department. Building activity remains far below pre-recession levels. Between July 2007 and January 2008, 841 permits were issued. “We’re still in a comparative slump to what we had four and five years ago, but it is a little bit better than last year,” the county’s building director, Aaron …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees