WINSTON — Juice dribbled down Dominic Obie Jr.’s chin as he scarfed down a giant slice of watermelon in a melon eating contest in Riverbend Park Saturday afternoon. After several minutes of frenzied eating, the 11-year-old was the big winner of the annual competition during the 45th annual Winston-Dillard Melon Festival. An eighth of a large watermelon was given to each of thirteen contestants for the competition. The contestants, of all ages, had to eat the fruit down to the white rind before they were declared done. Other activities on Saturday included a parade, bingo coordinated by the Winston-Dillard seniors, …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees