DILLARD — With his stepdad away on business and his house miles from town and inaccessible by fire engines, 13-year-old William Gurney had to save the family home from a gas-fed fire. Fortunately, the Winston Middle School eighth-grader was prepared. Those who know him say the Boy Scout is always that way. “If it wasn’t for him, we wouldn’t have a house right now,” stepfather Les Hudson said. Hudson was in Portland supervising a construction project at the Washington Square mall when he learned William put out a blaze with the fire extinguisher Hudson recently brought to the house. On …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees