Jake O’Dowd, the Roseburg Rod & Gun Club’s head instructor, is licensed to carry a firearm. He’s also, according to a gag license, authorized to pilot a craft pulled by nine reindeer. A former U.S. Forest Service administrator, O’Dowd has kept occupied in retirement with a pair of widely divergent avocations. The Sutherlin grandfather drives a white pickup with license plates that read, “1 Santa.” Due to hearing loss, he often leans in to listen to you. He’s quick to laugh — heartily — and looks, well, he looks like Santa Claus. Prior to retiring in 2008, O’Dowd, 61, and …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees