A Sutherlin man today was sentenced to 30 days in jail after pleading guilty to illegal possession of elk antlers and being a felon in possession of a firearm. Shawn Delbert Stevens, 40, pleaded guilty, settling a poaching investigation by the Oregon State Police that resulted in Stevens’ arrest in August 2011. Troopers executed a search warrant at Stevens’ house on Taylor Street and found a loaded Winchester .308 hunting rifle, a set of elk antlers and two sets of deer antlers. The investigation began with a tip from friends who knew that Stevens unaccountably possessed fresh game meat and …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees