A Winston man was sentenced today to 25 years in prison for sexually abusing a girl, and a Sutherlin man convicted of the same crime Tuesday faces an identical punishment under Oregon’s version of Jessica’s Law. Larry Dean Beasley, 49, pleaded guilty in November to first-degree sodomy and first-degree sexual abuse and admitted assaulting a 6-year-old girl in 2009. He appeared in Douglas County Circuit Court today hoping to get some relief from the sentencing standard Oregon lawmakers adopted in 2006, following the rape and murder of Jessica Lunsford, a 9-year-old Florida girl. Forty-two states have enacted some kind of …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees