A gun salute Thursday at the Douglas County Courthouse punctuated a ceremony to honor law enforcement officers who died in the line of service. Approximately 100 civilians and law enforcement officials gathered for the memorial, held during National Police Week. Sheriff John Hanlin and Sutherlin Police Chief Kirk Sanfilippo each spoke of the dangers officers face. “We gather to remember and honor fellow officers that have given their lives and to express gratitude to families that have paid the ultimate sacrifice,” Hanlin said. Hanlin said he has “never-ending respect” for officers who prevent crime, arrest criminals and help victims. Sanfilippo …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees