As a parent I know that sometimes all parents forget who they were before having kids.
What I am about to tell you is necessary knowledge.
We all have heard it before at one time or another, but we forget or simply push it to the back of our brain because there are always other things that seem to be more significant.
Make time for yourself.
This is important because losing sight of who we are will change who we have become and who we want to be.
If we lose sight of what makes us happy as a person then eventually it creates unhappiness.
This can lead to complete destruction within us as women, moms and also as spouses.
I say that we stand firm in knowing what we need as women and make it happen.
Here is how I plan to do this. I am making a plan and sticking to it!
You can do the same by starting with these ideas:
1. Decide on an amount of hours that are going to be YOU TIME every week.
2. Decide what days you want to have your YOU TIME.
(Many moms have crazy schedules and do not feel like they have enough time to make this happen. It can happen, there is time and this is why: Making time for yourself is just as important as ballet, t-ball, swim lessons, yard work, house work, and even doctor appointments! Because making time for your self keeps your mind and spirit healthy and that is important. If something needs to be cut out or rescheduled to make time for yourself then so be it.
3. Schedule your YOU TIME as you would anything else that is mandatory. Put it on the calendar.
4. Make it known to everyone else in your family that your time has been set and when it will take place.
5. Because you do not want to waste your time that you have set up be sure to decide also ahead of time what it is you want to do with that time.
Some of my favorites include: Taking a drive in the country; listening to music in the car while sitting somewhere quiet; going out to eat alone (Yes, I do this); scrapbooking; journaling; taking pictures of something beautiful; window shopping; sunbathing; berry picking; reading a good book.
6. Do not give up your time for YOU. If you do this it will become a habit and routine before you know it and side stepping or ignoring your needs and who you are is never OK.
No matter what you choose to do with your time it should be something you do not get to do any other time, something that only involves you because this is about who you are and getting to know that person again.
Lastly and most importantly, it needs to be something that brings a smile to your face and makes you remember who you are as a person and what you love to do in this life.
Achieving this goal will ultimately make you a happier person and it will shine in every area of your life!