RIDDLE — Dachshund-cross Ruby burst out of a wooden pen Wednesday afternoon on her way to first prize in the annual wiener dog race at the downtown Sawdust Jubilee. Owners Jennifer and Mark Merrick of Canyonville said the key to the win was a turkey bribe. “I gave her a bit of turkey in the pen to reinforce that it was a happy place,” Jennifer Merrick said. “She always comes to Mark and turkey.” In two separate races, purebred dachshunds and those with a dash or more of the breed in their pedigrees raced out of a wooden crate toward …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees