We get a plentiful amount of zucchini and squash this time of year, and you can only make so much zucchini bread! This is one of my favorite summer recipes using those big zucchinis. It is easy, healthy and very filling!
Sausage Zucchini Boats
1 large zucchini or summer squash
Johnny’s Seasoning Salt
½ lb. ground Italian sausage
One 16 oz. jar favorite pasta sauce
2-3 cups homemade breadcrumbs or croutons
2 cups shredded mozzarella
Salt & pepper
Opt: sprinkle on some Ghost Pepper for a kick
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Cut your zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the midsection of flesh, making sure to leave enough near the shell so the shells can be stuffed. Opt: If the midsection isn’t too seedy, put it aside, drain off the moisture and cook it into your mixture.
- Place the zucchini in a baking pan. Drizzle a healthy amount of olive oil over the zucchini and sprinkle with Johnny’s Seasoning Salt. Bake for 25-35 minutes until tender.
- While zucchini is baking, cook sausage over medium heat.
- Add breadcrumbs and pasta sauce to cooked sausage. Cook until hot.
- Take out zucchini and poke with fork to make sure they are tender. Stuff full with sausage mixture. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put in oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle on mozzarella and cook an additional 5 minutes (until melted). Or broil carefully for 1-2 minutes to crisp the cheese.